Russian Blini's and Olivier Salad
Bijgewerkt: 25 jul 2020
Getting back to my Russian roots with some traditional Russian food! I wouldn’t describe Russian food as particularly vegan friendly. Lots of meat and dairy (and mayonaise). However, some dishes can be veganized, like blini’s and Olivier salad.
Blini’s are little fluffy pancakes which are usually topped with caviar, but I topped them with vegan cream cheese and either jam or sundried tomatoes and chickpeas. I made the blini's with spelt flour to make it a bit lighter.
Olivier salad is usually made with ham, eggs, peas, potatoes, cucumber, onion, carrot, mayonaise and dille. It can be found at every Russian party. I just left out meat and eggs and chose vegan mayonaise. Still super delicious!
Olivier Salad (serves 3) prep time: 10 minutes
· 3 cooked potatoes
· 2 cooked carrots
· 2 cup peas
· 2 spring onions
· 6-7 small pickle
· 1/2 cucumber
· 1/2 cup vegan mayonaise*
· Salt & pepper to taste
1. Chop all the ingredients into cubes and combine together into a bowl with the mayonaise, salt, pepper and dill. That's literally it!
* You can also use vegan quark for a lighter version
Spelt Blini's (makes 30) Prep time: 25 minutes
· 1.5 cup light spelt flour
· 1 tablespoon baking powder
· 1 tablespoon vegan quark
· 1 1/3 cup soy milk
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Whisk all the ingredients together and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
2. Warm up a pan to medium heat and pour a bit of oil into the pan.
3. Add about a tablespoon batter per pancake into the pan and flip when bubbles start to form.
4. Cook for another 2-3 minutes
5. Top with what you prefer. Delicious combinations could be:
6. - Jam and vegan cream cheese - Cream cheese and vegan honey - beetroot hummus, avocado & sundried tomatoes - vegan caviar if you are feeling fancy - vegan carrot lox and cream cheese